I tried adding the following lines in bashrc file

export PATH="/usr/bin:$PATH"

after that didn't work then:

export gmake="/usr/bin"
export gnumake="/usr/bin"

Neither gave any improvment on the error messages recieved.

Do i need to install a package...  I have already installed automake, gnusetup and make

when i queried make, i got the following installed files:

/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/make
/usr/lib
/usr/share
/usr/share/info
/usr/share/info/make.info-2.gz
/usr/share/info/make.info.gz
/usr/share/info/make.info-1.gz
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man1
/usr/share/man/man1/make.1.gz
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/make
/usr/share/doc/make/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/make/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/make/NEWS.gz
/usr/share/doc/make/NEWS.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/make/copyright
/usr/share/doc/make/README.gz
/usr/share/doc/make/Explanations.gz
/usr/share/lintian
/usr/share/lintian/overrides
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/make

Thus do i need to type

export make="/usr/bin"

instead of export gmake and export gnumake???

Thanks...