I haven't used, or even seen, the tmotes. Maybe they are more
economical, but I assume that they require some kind of base-
station as well.

Nope, you are absolutely wrong.  Tmote Sky has built in USB, so none
of those silly programming boards are necessary as you can plug ANY
Tmote Sky into a USB port and it will serve as a base station.  I
invented Tmote Sky (and Telos!) with Rob Szewczyk to eliminate the
clunky, annoying programming boards from days past.

The couple day learning curve is to laugh however...

Perhaps you should have started with Tmote Sky motes instead. ;)

-Joe