Hi Phil -

The way LPL works is through continuous retransmissions of a message for the duration of a receive check period. These retransmissions are invisible to the application layer - so from the app layer, it looks like you send a single message and get a single sendDone back. LPL doesn't guarantee reliability - that would be up to a higher layer like you pointed out, like a collection library or a message transport layer.

If the collection library attempts to send to a LPL receiver, the LPL layer itself will cause the message to be rebroadcasted continuously for at least the full duration of the receiver's receive check, so the duty cycling receiver can hear it. If the duty cycling receiver doesn't get the message, the higher layers like collection would know this by using PacketAcknowledgements, and be able to choose a different destination immediately.

-David

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:13:20 -0800