Please send questions to the help list so we can keep
a record of my faulty answers...

In this case, you may have noticed that you are getting
a very different error after installing the getenv dll
(and no, I don't know why putting it in System32 didn't
work, it always has for me...well, unless you don't have
System32 in your PATH, but then other things might not
work either...).

So now, what is happening is
    > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
    > javax/comm/SerialPortEventListener
which probably means that you didn't install the javax.comm
package. I'll bet you thought there could only be ONE thing
wrong, didn't you? Hah.

I've heard through the grapevine that this package is not
on the the Sun site anymore and that TOS has transcended
it as well, so I put a copy on my site just in case:
    http://www.etantdonnes.com/TMP/javacomm20-win32.zip
It contains installation scripts and instructions which
will hopefully get you up and running....finally.

MS

lamiaimeil wrote:
Hi Michael,
the problem isn't that cygwin cant find dll.. However
I copy it in Windows/system32 but nothingh work..I
tell you what I do:
Run cygwin prompt and type:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:tmote java net.tinyos.tools.Listen

the prompt answer me:

getenv JNI library not found. Env.getenv will not work
(please consult installation directions in
tinyos-1.x/tools/java/net/tinyos/util/Env.INSTALL)
Error on [EMAIL PROTECTED]:9001: java.net.ConnectException:
Connection refused: connect

so I go in:

cd <your tinyos-1.x directory>/tools/java/jni
and type make install like Env.INSTALL tell me and the
prompt answer me:

make -f Makefile.CYGWIN
"JDK=/cygdrive/c/Programmi/Java/jdk1.5.0_06"
"JNI=/cygdrive/c/Programmi/Java/jdk1.5.0_
06/jre/bin" install
make[1]: Entering directory
`/opt/tinyos-1.x/tools/java/jni'
install --group=SYSTEM --mode=775 getenv.dll
"/cygdrive/c/Programmi/Java/jdk1.5.0_06/jre/bin"
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/opt/tinyos-1.x/tools/java/jni'

Now I try to type again:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:tmote java net.tinyos.tools.Listen

and the prompt now answer me everytime I type MOTECOM
command until I restat the prompt:

Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
javax/comm/SerialPortEventListener
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native
Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown
Source)
        at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown
Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown
Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown
Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown
Source)
        at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown
Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown
Source)
        at
sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown
Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown
Source)
        at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown
Source)
        at
net.tinyos.packet.BuildSource.makeSerial(BuildSource.java:360)
        at
net.tinyos.packet.BuildSource.makeArgsSerial(BuildSource.java:349)
        at
net.tinyos.packet.BuildSource.makePacketSource(BuildSource.java:147)
        at
net.tinyos.packet.BuildSource.makePacketSource(BuildSource.java:118)
        at
net.tinyos.tools.Listen.main(Listen.java:47)

I don't know what I must do! Thanks for your help!
Andrea

If you're still getting the "can't find dll" message
then the getenv.dll from .../tools/java/jni didn't
get installed correctly. I would just copy it to
Windows/System32 and be done with it. The make
install
is trying to find your Java Runtime Environment
(JRE)
and may not get the right one. You can look through
the makefile in that jni directory and run the
commands
by hand to see what they are really doing if you
want
to further torture yourself.