On Jan 3, 2007, at 6:43 PM, Michael Newman wrote:

I was definitely led astray by the introductory material and the tutorials. They all talk about milliseconds and provide examples such as Blink where 1000 milliseconds is used as a timer argument and is described as a 1 second interval.

From the blink code and readme:

Blink is a basic application that starts a 1Hz timer and toggles the red
LED every time it fires. It is a very simple program that is little
more than a demonstration of TinyOS programming.

  command result_t StdControl.start() {
    // Start a repeating timer that fires every 1000ms
    return call Timer.start(TIMER_REPEAT, 1000);
  }

Well, to be fair, the tutorials and apps like Blink are intended to be the simple introduction to TinyOS. A discussion of binary kHz and decimal kHz might be a bit beyond what the app is supposed to demonstrate. The TinyOS 2.x tutorial doesn't mention milliseconds explicitly, and does reference TEP 102. One of the issues we always run into with TinyOS documentation is the huge spectrum of user backgrounds, ranging from "how do I set an environment variable" to "platform X needs to configure GPIO pin Y to state Z on initialization because of condition foo." That's why there are multiple forms: the general conclusion is that no single document will be able to satisfy everyone, so there are layers.

Phil