Hi,

  I'm developing an application to track a mobile node in a sensor network.
My application is facing a problem of packet loss. To start with a very
simple topology, I've taken 3 nodes 0,1, and 2 (2 is the mobile node) on the
following coordinates respectively: (0,0), (10,0) and ( 0.03,0). My purpose
is to let node 2 hear some PROBE messages from node 0, and reply with a
BEACON message that will be heard by node 0 with a probablity higher than
with what node 1 hears the BEACON message. I generated the radio model for
this topology using LossyBuilder, so I've now a .nss file with bit error
rates following Gaussian packet loss probability distributions for each pair
of nodes. But the problem is, although I can see motes 0 and 1 periodically
broadcasting the PROBE messages, node 2 does not receive any PROBE message
from either of them (and hence does not send any BEACON), whereas it was
receiving PROBEs earlier when I didn't specify the topology this way. I
created some alternate version of the .nss file manually with bit error rate
between 1 and 2 set to 1, and that between 0 and 1 set to 0, but that
doesn't work, either. Can anyone please throw some light on why it is
happening?

Bibudh Lahiri
Graduate Research Assistant
Iowa State University