Hi Faisal,
  U can put some seqeunce number in the packet at the application layer,
but then, if MAC has to retransmit the packet because it gets lost in
collision, it will maintain the same application-layer sequence number, it
will not update ur sequence number, so at the receiver u'll receive the
packet with the same seq number as u put in the sender, so u won't even know
that there was a collision which resulted in a retransmission. So u'd never
know how much time was wasted for collisions and retransmissions. Anyway, if
u think that this time is negligible from ur application's point of view, u
can go for it.
                                                          Bibudh

Bibudh Lahiri
Graduate Research Assistant