________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Drew
Stovall
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:59 AM
To: tinyos-help@Millennium.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: [Tinyos-help] Sending cricket data via radio?

Using the cricket platform, I'd like to send the distance measurements
(normally sent via UART) via the radio instead.

To do this, I've inserted a bit of code to queue radio messages into the
"ReportPulse" task.  Unfortunately, when I do this the rate of both the
RF and UART messages suddenly drops to 1 message every 10 seconds
(instead of 1-2 messages per second).

The problem appears related to my use of the radio since the message
rate is not sensitive to the existence of the UART bits of the task.

If I turn an LED on when I queue a message, and turn it off after it's
sent, the LED is only lit for a faction of second (ie, the message
doesn't stay in-queue for very long).  This leads me to believe that the
delay between ReportPulse tasks is not caused by the actual transmission
of the message.

At this point, I should confess that I'm using the Transceiver component
from ../contrib/rincon (HEAD) which has served me very well in the
past... though in the past I was using the Mica2 platform.  In the
off-chance that there's some interaction between this component at the
cricket code, I'm reimplementing my radio code to use more basic
mechanisms... but I'd really rather not.  ;-)

So, my questions are:
1) Has anyone out there successfully transmitted cricket distance
measurements via radio?  (If so, could I get a code snippet?)
2) Is there a potential for interaction between my use of the radio that
would cause the ReportPulse task to only be fired 1/10th as often? (or
something that might introduce a ~10 second delay)

- Drew Stovall
UT Austin