On Tuesday 26 June 2007 03:15:26 am [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi i use tmote and tinyos 1.1 ; i must use ADC to sample a voltage on
> Capacitor but i have a problem. In fact i use ADC3 and GND(of ADC) but this
> pin result short-circuit when tmote is on. This is a big problem for me
> because the capacitor discharge and i can't mesaure the really value. How
> can i resolve my problem??

Not sure, but I can see a few ways this could be happening.

1. The IO pins of the msp430 are set at PUC (power up clear) to digital IO
inputs.  In this state, the pins leak almost no current *unless* the voltage
they see is not very close to Vcc or Vss (uC GND).  If the msp430 resets
while or after the cap is charged, the cap may be applying a voltage to the
pin that could cause it to leak 100+ uA, which could be at least partially
draining the cap before software takes over and sets the ADC3 pin into its
peripheral ADC mode.

2. The software is somewhere setting the ADC3 pin to a digital output with a
level of 0.  This will cause the pin to sink current from the capacitor and
drain it.  This situation could cause the msp430 to be damaged if the
capacitor's charge into the pin could exceed the pin's maximum current
handling capability.

3. The capacitor's energy storage is so small that even the tiny amounts
leaked at ADC3 or drawn during sampling is adversely affecting the charge.

Steve