On 7/9/07, David Gay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/6/07, Zhifeng Lai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> With regard to the second question, if we disallow programmers to use
> assembly code and assume ncc can perform global and inter-procedural alias
> analysis, can we safely conclude my aforementioned claim (programmers will
> not raise data races if they obey the race-free invariant)?

Yes (well, mostly - you could still run into weirdness with
memory-mapped I/O, e.g., DMA - you'd want to prevent that in
application-level code too, on some platforms at least...)

Another example: the status register with the interrupt-enable bit (in
fact, all registers) on the avr architecture is memory-mapped...

David Gay