I think I may have found the answer to my own question :-) but I have a new
question now, but I will put that in a new e-mail

... when LPL is doing its CCACheck routine and the energyindicator signals
its .detected() event an "off" timer is started as a one shot with a
lifetime of 100 ms (set in defaultLPL.h with a definition of
DELAY_AFTER_RECEIVE 100.  Assuming energy remained present in the Channel
during this time the "off" timer would be restarted.  Energy is detected but
no packet was received this would simply cause a delay in the LPL routine.

Regards
Ben