Hi Everyone,

i checked the "device manager" and click the "Universal Serial Bus
controllers" there is a new entry when i connect my USB adapter,
"FTDIFT8U2XX Device". When I clicked on the properties, its location states
"Location 0 (USB <-> Serial)"

However I tried this command again:
MIB510='/dev/ttyusb0' make mica2 install.0 mib510

This is the msg:
Error: No such file or directory
 -> /dev/ttyUSB0
make[1]: *** [reinstall.0] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/tinyos/cygwin/opt/tinyos-1.x
/apps/TOSBas
e'
make: *** [install.0] Error 2

So I checked the "Ports (COM & LPT)" and the USB Serial Port (COM5) is
active. So i entered this command:
MIB510='/dev/ttys5' make mica2 install.0 mib510

This is the error msg:
Error: No such file or directory
 -> /dev/ttys5
make[1]: *** [reinstall.0] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/tinyos/cygwin/opt/tinyos-1.x
/apps/TOSBas
e'
make: *** [install.0] Error 2

I changed to another USB port and checked the "Device Manager". The USB
Serial Port (COM7) is active to I entered:
MIB510='/dev/ttys7' make mica2 install.0 mib510

This is the error msg:
Error: No such file or directory
 -> /dev/ttys7
make[1]: *** [reinstall.0] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/tinyos/cygwin/opt/tinyos-1.x
/apps/TOSBas
e'
make: *** [install.0] Error 2

May I know where did I go wrong?

Best regards,
U-Wei

On 9/27/07, Michael Schippling <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

> The COMx syntax is, unfortunately, only useful with older cygwin
> versions that 'came with' TOS pre 1.1.10(or 11?). In some uses
> with some newer versions "they" started using the nNIX /dev syntax.
> I am purposely vague about the "somes" because I don't remember if
> download and message comm are fellow travelers, or if COM still works
> for one, and there is no way to squeeze a "version number" from cygwin
> (...actually there is: "cygcheck -s" will cough up a dll version, but
> everyone seems to deny it's applicability...).
>
> Anyway the bottom line is: try every possible combination of chars...
>
> MS
>

> Urs Hunkeler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since in your message you ask for advise on cygwin I assume you're
> > running cygwin? If so, I think you cannot use unix-like device names for
> > the serial port. There was a message on the mailing list a few hours ago
> > that described how you can find out on Windows which port name was
> > assigned to a usb <-> serial converter.
> >
> > Since I'm not using windows, I might nor remember everything correctly.
> > Basically you can right-click on my computer, then select manage system,
>
> > then device manager. In the device manager you'll find an entry about
> > ports. In there you should see the port name and a short description.
> >
> > Once you know the port name, for instance COM7, you can use this as
> > parameter to the make command. You'll probably use a command like:
> >
> > make mica2 install,0 mib510,COM7
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Urs
> >

> > Khew U-Wei wrote:
> >> Hi Everyone,
> >>
> >> Thanks so much for the helpful replies.
> >>
> >> I tried all the suggestions but still receive error messages,
> >>
> >> I tried:
> >> MIB510='/dev/ttyUSB0' make mica2 install.0 mib510
> >> and the error was:
> >> Error: No such file or directory ->  /dev/ttyUSB0
> >> make [1]: ***[reinstall.0] Error 1
> >> make: ***[install.0] Error 2
> >>
> >> I tried:
> >> MIB510='/dev/ttyUSB1' make mica2 install.0 mib510
> >> the error was the same:
> >> Error: No such file or directory ->  /dev/ttyUSB1
> >> make [1]: ***[reinstall.0] Error 1
> >> make: ***[install.0] Error 2
> >>
> >> Another question is, how do we check the hardware settings for the
> ports
> >> that are being used?
> >>
> >> I know this question is a bit silly but how can we copy the error
> >> messages or any other messages from the cygwin window? The text cant be
> >> highlighted to copy.
> >>
> >> Looking forward to ya replies. Thank you very much.
> >>
> >> regards,
> >> U-Wei

"Your future depends on your dreams"
So go to sleep