The microcontroller sleep period and the radio duty cycling are completely
separate.  The microcontroller sleep functionality is built into the TinyOS
operating system - when there are no tasks to execute in the scheduler, the
microcontroller goes to sleep automatically.

In order to use the radio low power listening functionality, the
microcontroller must wake up and interact with the radio.  This wakeup is
caused by the periodic timer built into the low power listening
functionality, defined by your local sleep interval.  If there is nothing
interesting on the channel for the radio to stay awake for, the radio goes
back to sleep.  The microcontroller, with nothing else to do, goes back to
sleep on its own until the next interrupt.

-David

  _____