On Nov 14, 2007, at 10:39 AM, Michael Schippling wrote:

OK, so I found
        nesC 1.1 Language Reference Manual (2003)
and
        The nesC Language:... (2003)

but in a quick search I don't find _what_ is the meaning of "signal",
except that it seems to be prefixed to calling functions labeled "event".
Do I need to really read the whole thing to get the idea, or is there
some summary that explains the hierarchy and impetus behind these keywords?
Or do I have to re-remember BNF?

http://www.tinyos.net/tinyos-2.x/doc/html/tutorial/lesson2.html:

Invoking an interface command requires the call keyword, and invoking an interface event requires the signal keyword. BlinkC does not provide any interfaces, so its code does not have any signal statements: in a later lesson, we'll look at the boot sequence, which signals the Boot.booted() event.

The impetus comes from a desire to articulate the bidirectional nature of interfaces. Providers of interfaces signal completion of split-phase operations.

Phil