might be an adc in your app with a vref at 2.5V
After a lot of digging I now understand more.
I'm using Deluge 2 on TinyOS 1.x.
The processor does indeed reset itself and run TOSboot. TOSboot then checks
that AVSS is high enough (2.7V) for reprogramming the flash.
If not it should flash the red led a few times then rerun the existing
application in flash.
So now my question should be rephrased as , why is the value of AVSS dependent
on the last application that ran?
I've tried several tricks e.g. setting dma, adc, dca registers to 0, setting
uarts to SWRST before triggering the watchdog (see reset.h). I also added a
multi-second delay at the beginning of main() in TOSbootM.nc. This has given me
partial success. The Ditto application now succesfully reboots to Blink.
However my own application (like Ditto but samples continuously and sends
processed data out via wireless) does not.

Any ideas ??