Hi Angela,

As Philip pointed out, TinyOS doesn't know about processes or
kernel-mode operation in the traditional sense. It sounds as if you
wanted to do profiling, like how much time is spent to perform a given
operation and how much of this time is taken by core TinyOS functions, etc.

Including support for profiling measurements would take a significant
part of the processing power on a typical TinyOS-capable device, so
nobody really wants to include such things directly in TinyOS and
measure it in hardware. The exception is if you just need to know the
characteristics of a very particular operation. In this case you could
toggle a pin on the micro-controller just before starting the operation,
and then toggle the pin again when the operation finishes. Then you
could measure the timing of the operation with an oscilloscope.

TinyOS 1.x has a means of simulating power consumption. I don't know how
they do it, but maybe their mechanisms could be used to estimate
time-based profiling information as well.

A post on a different thread recently mentioned the Avrora project. It
looks like it is a hardware simulator and the porject web-page mentions
profiling. http://compilers.cs.ucla.edu/avrora/

If you think that the behavior of your program will change over time
(for instance depending on the network configuration), once you know the
cost of operations (for instance estimated with the TinyOS 1.x power
consumption simulation or the Avrora project) you could get runtime
estimates of the distribution of processing power by counting the number
of executions of key operations. This would be much cheaper (in terms of
processing overhead) than actually measure execution times.

Cheers,
Urs