The graph layout algorithm in Trawler does not try to mimic the
physical locations of nodes, it only attempts to draw the network
topology.  As for the specific graph layout strategy that it uses -
Trawler uses a package called Jung for its graph abstractions, there
are several different layout algorithms packaged with Jung, and
trawler uses FRLayout.   For detailed documentation on the
capabilities of jung, please read the documentation at
http://jung.sourceforge.net/

Best regards,

Rob