I'll make a SWAG that what you see in the non-counter field is the
instantaneous value from a microphone. So when it's quiet you see
some base level noise between 0x1c5 and 0x1cc, which would make the
"zero-crossing" level about 0x1c9. Then when there is beeping or
other sound the signal swings wider, between 0x177 and 0x1fd.
That seems like a sensory difference to me...

MS

hamsa jega wrote:
Hi,
I have been trying to sense sound. I am able to do so. I wanted one mote running an application called sensesound to sense the beeps generated by another mote. I tried running basestation application on one other mote to display the sensed data and viewing it using Listen. I was able to do so. I however do not see a difference in the reading between when there's silence and when there's a beep. I could sense a difference in that when there was silence i got the following reading: 00 ff ff 00 00 04 22 06 01 cc 00 01 where the last 2 bytes are the counter value and the 2 bytes before that are the sensed data. I always get values in the range 01 c5 to 01 cc when there is absolute silence to my ears. When I have the beeps detected I get readings from 01 77 to 01 fd. How do I interpret this data? I am not able to find information anywhere on how to interpret it. I would be extremely grateful if someone could give me pointers. Thanks,
Hamsa

Platform: WinXP/Cygwin
TinyOS version: 1.x, Boomerang
Programmer: MIB510