Interestingly, the packets are received for a while and then stop
even after I comment out
 //   serial.sendPackets();
     at the end of TestSerial.java. This is somewhat surprising since I
have used the printf utility to get data from telosb motes over many
days without apparent problems or loss of data.

That is strange... will need more investigation.

     I experienced this problem on Ubuntu 7.10 and XubunTOS 7.04. Are
there any alternative drivers that I could try for these platforms?

Your operating system looks new enough to me, I think.

- Your usb hub is bad? we had to buy three different types of usb
   hubs, just to find a good one.

   And at least for me, I see more problems when I use an usb hub.
     Unfortunately, due to the physical construction of my PC's, I need to
use some sort of hub or extender to actually connect the motes. I
will try to find another PC where this is not the case. However, I
did try multiple types of extender cables and hubs and the problem
seems to repeat on each of them.

I am not so concerned about the cables as long as you are not connecting
several cables in serial (you can see noticeable power attenuation if
you connect several cables in serial), but the hubs do matter.
Don't trust any cheap hubs. Dlink was not so great. Linksys 4-port was
what we ended up using, but still not as good as no hub at all.

     I am not sure how to accomplish this. When I am sending mote-->pc
only, then
java TestSerial -comm serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:telosb
     will receive a number of packets and then stop, but
java TestSerial -comm serial@/dev/ttyUSB0:57600
     will not receive any packets at all, as far as I can tell. Am I
entering the command incorrectly?

To test this, you should recompile the mote to use 57600 baud rate
and then run your java in 57600.
There was an easy way to do this in tinyos-1.x, but
I don't know how this is easily done in tinyos-2.x.
Grep for 115200 in "chips/msp430/usart/msp430usart.h", and
look at "platform/telosa/TelosSerialP.nc", and
"chips/msp430/usart/Msp430UsatP.nc"

All my experiences were in tinyos-1.x.
I hope to hear your experiences with tinyos-2.x.

Thank you.

--

Jeongyeup Paek
Ph.D. student