Coalton  Bennett <cb322 <at> cornell.edu> writes:

> Hello All,
>                For any skilled Crossbow users who are familiar with Xserve
> I have a question about viewing the output from the
> mote(s). I am going through some of the tutorials that come
> with the software package and I am currently on lesson 2
> (for those of you who have gone through the tutorials as
> well these tutorials are in the MoteWorks Getting Started Guide section
> 6.2.3 or page 59). I was successfully able to compile and install the code
> on the mote with no problems. In this tutorial a MTS310 sensor board and
> the transceiver are both connected to the a MIB510 programming board on
> opposite sides. The sensing application that I am using is the light
> sensor.
>            Now for the question. I am basically trying to view the output
> of the sensor and followed the directions in the guide which
> state that I should open a Cygwin command prompt window and
> then type the following: xserve -device=COM1 which I did, only
> to get the following message:
>
> XSERVE 2.0.E: $ID: XSERVE.C,V 1.8.2.3 2007/02/02 17:45:01 RKAPUR EXP $
> Warning: Converting Windows COM1 device to Cygwin device.
> Using params: [raw] [parsed] [converted] [server port=9001]
> Opening serial device: /dev/ttyS0 @ 57600
>
> Then there is no output to the screen the cursor continues to blink and
> stare me in the face. From the screen shots in the user's manual/guide
> there should be output scrolling along the screen, but for some reason
> there isn't. What am I doing incorrect? If anyone can provide me with some
> insights I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
>
> C.B.

I have had this exact same problem while following lesson 2 step by step in
the tutorial.

In your case, the command "xserve -device=COM1", you should replace "device"
with "mib510" and "COM1" with whichever COM port your device is using.

I wrote to customer support about this problem, I explained that I am
experienced with microcontrollers, and that I had already successfully
installed and ran code on the device.  When I wrote about xserve hanging
on "Opening serial device: /dev/ttyS0 @ 57600," they brushed me off with by
saying:

"The lower of the two virtual com port is for programming while the higher of
the two is for receiving. I would use COM 4 in the command line to get the
data packets."

"If looks like it is trying to access COM1 from the message you are getting.
Also did you install the MIB520 drivers on your machine?"

This answer tells me that they either have no idea how their system works, or
they think I am a complete idiot.  I could not have gotten to this step
without having already installed the MIB520 drivers.

If you get yours working please post your solution.