I've not used the micadot, and I think you may be using TOS2 so I can't
be of much real help. But make sure you have defined the same radio
channel or frequency for all your motes, defined the maximum power
(the T1 standard for mica2's was close to minimum...), and that the
antennas on your motes are correctly set up.

That said, BlinkToRadio and TOSBase on respective motes _should_ show
some flashing lights everywhere. Though it may be that TOSBase flashes
the wrong (non-existant) Led when it receives....

On to the specific details, most of which should be in the tutorial...

AM_BROADCAST_ADDR indicates to the radio code that it should send/recv
a broadcast message to all listening motes. This same field can be used
to set a specific receiver ID -- see the install.id below, or direct
messages to the UART in T1 GenericComm.

TOS_AM_GROUP is an arbitrary value to identify messages belonging to
one application group when transmitting on the same radio channel.
As long as it is set to the same thing for all your motes it should
be a noop. Why the compiler complains about overloading is a mystery
because you _should_ be able to change defines on the command line.
Perhaps this indicates something that needs to be analyized...

I'm not sure about your "When I create a new sender or a receiver"
argument question...what interface are you using?

The install.id sets the individual Mote's ID, which is accessible in
the code as "TOS_LOCAL_ADDRESS" in T1 and some other danged different
name in T2. This is the number that you would use in place of BCAST
when sending if you wanted to do point-to-point messages.

MS

Ben Dilsaver wrote:
I just recently got tinyos up and working on my computer. I have been going through some of the examples in the test and tutorial directory. I have been able to use the tool chain and download to my mica2dot just fine. However I have not been able to get two motes to communicate to each other. I downloaded the TestAM program to both of the boards. I had to slightly modify the code because I only have one LED, to distinguish when a packet was sent and when one was received. The mote that is transmitting seems like it is working because the led flashes when the transmission is done. The mote that is receiving does not ever light up and it is set to when a packet comes in.

I also tried the blink to radio program with similar results, it seems like it is transmitting but it is unable to receive. I downloaded the base station program to one mote while another mote was transmitting but the serial line was empty. So I have come to the conclusion that where I am sending data and where I am receiving data from are two different places. I have a few questions about the following variables

AM_BROADCAST_ADDR (what is this variable and what should it be set to?)

TOS_AM_GROUP (what is this variable and why does the compiler complain that it is already set in AM.h when I try to set it in the make file by using a command?) CFLAGS+=-DTOS_AM_GROUP=0x10 Will all of my files use the same tos_am_group even if I don't #include the AM.h in the files that are doing communication?

When I create a new sender or a receiver there is an argument that is passed into the constructor it seems to me that they have to be the same value, but what is that value?

Lastly when I do an install I pass in a parameter ie install,<id>, how does this id relate to everything?

Thanks for any help also I there is anything else that I might have overlooked in getting these to communicate would be greatly appreciated.

Platform: WinXP/Cygwin
TinyOS version: 1.x, Boomerang
Programmer: MIB510
Device(s): Mica2, MicaZ, Tmote