Hi!

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Gaurav Chandwani wrote:

Hi Guys,

We have to deploy a big number of motes with 2 images
1. modified-MutiHopOscilloscope application for Collection, Radio always ON
- Cluster Head (CH)
2. modified-RadioCountToLeds , with Radio ON for only transmitting
   a packet(few ms) and then OFF for say X Minutes - Cluster Node (CN)

Since the deployment could be big scale, so we obviously want to use Deluge T2
to do this. I had a few Questions regarding it:

1. Right now we are using TinyOS 2.0.2 stable release and have
not tried the CVS current repository. The example applications in
apps/tests/Deluge don't compile and if I follow the Latest DelugeT2 Manual,
first i installed Python2.4 and pySerial not present in release then the first
step
talks abt tos/lib/tosboot folder which aint there, while is present in CVS.
So, the only conclusion tht I can take is tht there is no way of using Deluge in
any capacity without using CVS. Am I right ?

The manual talks about Deluge T2 for the CVS. I think there might be something wrong with your 2.0.2 installation because there is a a tos/lib/tosboot in the official rpm:
        http://www.tinyos.net/dist-2.0.0/tinyos/linux/tinyos-2.0.2-2.noarch.rpm

In fact I highly recommend using the latest Deluge from the following git repository:
        http://hinrg.cs.jhu.edu/git/deluge/tinyos-2.x.git
        http://hinrg.cs.jhu.edu/git/?p=deluge/tinyos-2.x.git (webgit)

2.  For one of the application, Radio is OFF(Cluster Node's) for most of the
time. Has anyone tried some kind of syncronization between Cluster Heads and
Cluster Nodes in this situation to use Deluge. *Also, we want to use Deluge
to deliver 2 different images to 2 different classes of motes(CH and CN),
has anyone tried something like this or is tht possible ?*

The current version of Deluge T2 cannot simultaneously disseminate two images. You can disseminate the images sequentially but you'll have to employ a separate mechanism to detect when all the motes got the image (you can use collection for this for example).

3. For MultiHopOscilloscope, i was reading on this forum that Deluge aint enough as the object image become larger than supported size, are there plans of taking care of this ?

MultiHopOscilloscope is pretty big by itself and adding Deluge T2 with basestation support makes it too big. Without the basestation support it does fit. Here are some comparisons:

                                    ROM   RAM
no DelugeC 29062 3348 DelugeC 44632 3999 DelugeC + DELUGE_LIGHT_BASESTATION 46418 4099
DelugeC + DELUGE_BASESTATION        too big

The DELUGE_LIGHT_BASESTATION doesn't allow -d and -dr commands but does allow -p (for inspecting the state of the images).

4.  For over-the-air programming, are there other options in T2 ?
Dissemination in T2 I read is only for small data which doesnt apply to
program binaries. XNP on T2 ?

One replacement is called Typhoon and a paper about it is here:
        http://hinrg.cs.jhu.edu/uploads/Main/typhoon.pdf
Typhoon can disseminate multiple images in the same time and without channel switching has a low memory footprint. One drawback is a loss in speed in dense networks. Typhoon will be added to the contrib when Mike will find some time to prepare it for public. :-)

--
Razvan ME

Any hints/suggestion/experiences are welcome. They would help me take the right
direction without swimming around too much and save a lot of time :)

Best Regards,
Gaurav