Hi,

The criteria for choosing the RTOS is depend on your requirement.

In general, TinyOS is the correct choice if:
- You need cheap device with radio, powered by 2-AA battery 1500mA each,
and survives 6-months or even years without battery replacement.
- You need to sense physical value over large distributed area (eg. land
slopes), and you don't want to dig for the cables.
- Your device has limited processing power, yet you need more
intelligence to handle network properties (such as self healing,
auto-routing, etc).

IMHO, tinyos is ugly choice for:
- High processing power devices (such as ARM7 / ARM9), because most
likely the MCU / MPU processing power will be wasted.
- Multimedia/DSP application/hard real-time application, because it
doesn't have guaranteed interrupt latency.
- Remote control application (needs low bitrate, low error rate and/or
accurate timing), because by default the packet's QoS in tinyos is not
controlled (but you can develop your own QoS management).

If I'm not mistaken, there was tinyos comparison article against other
RTOSes in circuit cellar Feb 2008 (http://www.circuitcellar.com/).

Hope it helps

Regards,
-daniel