Hi. This question was asked back in 2004 but was never answered:

I also checked the tutorial and TEPs, but didn't find an answer.

So I'll repeat it here. Are there certain ranges which are reserved
for app usage, and others for tinyos internals?

My active message IDs start at 6, since this is used in the
BlinkCountToLeds test app. But I'm wondering if it's safe to start at
0 or 1 instead.

TinyOS should have a 'central' list of used numbers somewhere (similar
to /etc/services on a Linux box), so that components can avoid AM ID
clashes. But I don't know where to find this list.

David.