I haven't looked at the battery monitor on the tmote. There appears to be
an "InternalVoltage" module which may be the battery voltage. However
I would have to spend the rest of the day tracing through schematics,
code, and the MSP manual to figure out what they think they are doing,
which could well be different from what they actually end up doing.

I'm not that familiar with the controller so it may be that the MSP has
some sort of stable ADC reference. But if that is not the case then
measuring a resistor ladder as described isn't going to give any meaningful
data since the battery, the reference, and the ladder values will change
in sync. So I guess you're on your own unless some tmote guru feels your pain.

As for the accuracy, if you look at any ADC results you will see
that the last couple bits are "wobbly" due to various types of noise,
internal, circuit board, and from the signal itself. And if you look at
the power supply line with a scope I'll bet you'll see 10-100mv of junk.

Your analysis: 1.5/4096 is (probably) wrong because the max conversion
value is still the reference at 3v, so the highest value you can get
from the equal-resistor ladder would be 2048. But you made up for it
by doubling it later...

sorry I'm not that much use
MS