Hi list.

When I run motelist, I get output like this:

M4AOCF87   /dev/ttyUSB0     Moteiv tmote sky
M4AOCFBE   /dev/ttyUSB1     Moteiv tmote sky
M4AOCFAT   /dev/ttyUSB2     Moteiv tmote sky

Can tinyos apps fetch their serial number?

I have an application where I want to dynamically allocate mote ids
(and possibly group IDs) over serial.

Intended logic goes something like this:

1) Motes without a mote id transmit their serial number
2) Software on PC (connected to basestation) allocates a mote id, and
sends it to the mote over radio
3) Motes use the new number as their mote id.
4) Mote's new id should persist across mote resets

Any suggestions? Pointers to docs/code I should look at are appreciated.

With my current knowledge, I'd probably (try to) implement it like this:

* Mote apps ae compiled with an unusual ID, and have their serial
number stored in a config volume in flash  (an initial 'setup' script
on the server reads this ID from motelist and then sends it over
serial to the mote).

* When motes get the updated mote id over serial, they reprogram
themselves. I'll need to take a look at Deluge to see how it preserves
mote id numbers.

David.