LQI is in relation to how many code-bits are "good" AFAIK. For
distance, even questionable RSSI readings seem more ... well, useful.

sing.stanford.edu/talks/emnets2006.ppt

has some pretty graphics of LQI values. It's not too pretty. (Well,
the "conclusion", and that was even from a localization
perspective...)