From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Philip Levis
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 2:04 PM
To: Paul Stickney
Cc: tinyos-help@millennium.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [Tinyos-help] TOS 2.x simulator

On May 16, 2008, at 10:55 AM, Paul Stickney wrote:

> I do not understand what you mean by slow-fading.
>
> But...
> The UCS tool can be used to create test networks. It lets you specify
> many variables in a configuration file which is then generated into a
> gain/noise data which can be fed into the TOSSIM T2 radio model (this
> may cover what you want).  However, Chad Metcalf, in his TOSSIM-Live
> paper, shows that UCS isn't necessarily realistic and shows how he was
> able to get a much more accurate simulation environment based off of a
> real-world scenario. See
> toilers.mines.edu/pub/Toilers/ChadMetcalf/cmetcalf-thesis.pdf.

Probably the biggest flaw in the current TOSSIM radio model is that
the RSSI is completely constant. The RF community has a bunch of terms
they use to describe RF behavior which sound mostly incomprehensible
to someone who doesn't know them (fast fading, slow fading, shadowing,
etc.). In this case, I think he's talking about the fact that signal
strength varies over time in slow fading models.

Phil