I can only speak to T1 and my methodology in the linked document...but...

Micaz and other 2420 radio devices have a hardware level ACK which may
improve the failure detection rate without turning on the software ACK.
The mica2, on which I did my main testing does not have the hdw level,
so if you want any indication of a packet's getting through you have
to use the sft ACK. This is _not_ the default, and in fact even when
enabled they are not passed through to the pc-host without making a
mod to TOSBase as I did. It does reduce the total message throughput,
but in most WSN cases (especially low power) one is not running at maximum.

Look at the code refed in my doc for a usage example.

In general one should get one ACK for each successful message and none
for unsuccessful ones. However you can miss the ACK for a success and
so you need to implement a sequence number mechanism of some kind at
the user level to really be sure. I don't know if there is a retry
mechanism in T1, but I think there is a packet interface of some kind
in T2 that does retries. Otherwise it's up to the user.

MS

João Paulo Amaro da Costa Luz Carneiro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Low Power Listening TEP recommends sending duplicate packets and
> enabling acknowledgements while this
> http://www.etantdonnes.com/Motes/report_mica2/
>   concludes PRR is higher when acknowledgments are disabled. Can
> someone explain?
> About the acknowledgement mechanismand how do ACKs work in tinyos2/WSNs:
> Does the system automatically retransmits when the ACKs aren't received?
> How does a node knows how many ACKs it should receive?
> Is it enabled or disabled by default, and how to change configurations?
> Thanks, regards.
>
> Joao

Platform: WinXP/Cygwin
TinyOS version: 1.x, Boomerang