Hi Saul,

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Saul Garcia <sgar2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a Spanish student, currently in Brussels doing my Master Thesis. By now
> if I have been learning about the TinyOS programming and now I am on
> disposition to write/modify an existing application that fits to my thesis.
> The point is that I am looking for an scanning application that scans all
> the 802.15.4 IEEE channels. I have started working with the
> /apps/tutorials/RssiDemo, app that prints out the RSSI values send it by
> other device. I would like to modify my baseStation in order to switch
> channel every time that the Tout fires. But I found this a little bit tricky
> as long as I couldn't find the command that sets the new Channel. However, I
> found your app (the RF230Sniffer) I have tried to work with it but no luck,
> it doesn't seem to be working.

It does work. You need to program it and connect it directly to your
PC. On the PC you need to run the net.tinyos.util.DiagMsg application.

> Regarding to the code, I understand how you do the "changeChannel", but is
> there any other module that let's me do it directly? Do I have to implement
> your inline command?

There is no easy way to dynamically change the channel. You would need
to change the MessageBufferLayerP.nc. You need to power down the radio
stack, change the channeland power it up.

> By the way, could you please tell me briefly what exactly is supposed to do
> the RF230Sniffer?

The RF230Sniffer records all messages on the given channel and dumps
it to the PC. The DiagMsg java application prints out all this
information. The RF230Sniffer actually uses the lib/DiagMsg component,
which is called from RF230LayerP when it is in diag mode.

Best,
Miklos