You found documentation? Wow!

Looking in tos/platform/msp430/msp430hardware.h
I find the circuitous definitions:

void TOSH_SEL_##name##_MODFUNC()
        { MSP430REG_NORACE2(r,P##port##SEL); r |= hex; }
void TOSH_SEL_##name##_IOFUNC()
        { MSP430REG_NORACE2(r,P##port##SEL); r &= ~hex; }

Which seems to indicate that MOD sets the port.bit and IO clears it.

I haven't a clue as to why they are called that though...

MS