Hi All

We have run a project using micaz modules. In this project there are 8 nodes
which are fixed in a certain locations and 40 nodes which are carried by
different people (some of these motes are in XBow boxes and some other are
just in small pouches). There are 3 motes which are used as base stations
through the environment.

The problem we have now is that the transmitter of the mobile motes gets
damaged after a while. For example we pick a new mote out of the pack,
program it, and give it to one of the people, after a while (sometimes even
after 3 days!!!) the transmitter (either sender or receiver) stops working.

I realize the transmitter of a mote has stopped working when I don't receive
any signal from it for a couple of days. In this case I test the mote with
CountSend and CountReceive (shipped with XBow MoteWorks) against another new
mote. Usually the result is that either the sender part or receiver part of
the mote has become so weak that the packet can be transferred only if the
motes are less than 10 cm away!!! further than that the packet either can
not be sent or be received. I've called the company regarding this issue and
they told me if the mote doesn't work with CountSend and CountReceive, you
should send them back here for diagnosis and because by now they are out of
warranty, it costs 100$ per each for diagnosis (The motes have been bought
more than a year ago, but they haven't been used at all).

On possibility was that the motes that we got have been produced using a bad
batch in the manufacture for transmitter, and that's why they keep dying in
work. But it's not very likely because the problem is just exist with the
mobile ones, not with the base stations or with the fixed motes. Also the
currently used motes have been purchased in two separate orders, and
probably two separate manufacturing series.

The other possibility is that they die because of the static electricity
(people are supposed to change the mote's battery every couple of days). Can
it be a reason? But this even happens for the mobile motes with XBow boxes
which they look safe for this. and if it's the reason, why just the
transmitter gets damaged and no other part in the mote?

By now we have lost more than 30 micaz motes this way and if it wants to
continue we will much more. Does anyone has any idea what can be the reason
and how we can stop it? Any idea is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Mohammad S. Hashemian
Research Scholar/DISCUS Lab