In T1 there was an interface in the radio control modules
that allowed one to enable software ACK in the code:

in the config file:
   // to enable ACK behavior
   TOSBaseM.MacControl -> RMac;
where Rmac is one of:
   CC1000RadioIntM as RMac,     /* mica2 */
   /* CC2420RadioM as RMac,     /* micaz */
   /* there probably is one for telosb, but I didn't use it */

and in your init() or start() code:
   call MacControl.enableAck();

This forced the message receiver to send a byte back to the
sender when it got a good message. The sender could then look
at the TOS_Msg.ack field in sendDone() and see if the message
went through. Note that this only works for messages that have
a specific endpoint, for BCAST messages there is no designated
receiver to provide an ACK. You also need to turn this on in
you base-station code.

If you search this list for ACK and my name you'll probably
find this same message, and more...

MS