All kinds of delicate little tweeks and kludges go into
forming the environment you get when you do
     bash --login -i
which is what gets run when you double-click the happy
bash icon that should have been created for you. Any
of those tweekluges can go wrong in so many way, so I can't
tell you exactly what your problem is. The bash man page
(man bash) may have the order of execution delineated,
I don't remember offhand.

Normally these files get sourced somehow:
     /etc/profile and /etc/bash.bashrc
     scripts in /etc/profile.d/*.sh
     your $HOME/bash.bashrc and $HOME/.bashrc

I would start by putting messages like
    echo "I got to this file"
in each of the files and see if you see anything
when you start the shell.

If all else fails, just put all your settings in
a convenient file and type:
        source >myfile>
when you start the shell.

MS