Hi All!

I'm a freshman with TinyOS.
During my internship I'm dealing with Energy-Harvesting, where electrical
energy is generated

and collected from the environment. As electric energy source I'm using
thermoelectric

generators.
So far everything looks very promising and I get a few mA continuous current.

The goal is to build up a self sufficient sensor network which can operate
without batteries.
Therefore energy should be collected and stored in a big capacitor during the
sleep state of a

sensor node. When a node wakes up, it should be powered by the energy from this
capacitor.

One of the major questions I have to answer is the appropriate size of the
storage capacitor.
This depends on the time a node is in active state and on the current it draws
during this sate.

Since I'm using the MicaZ-Mote I estimate the current draw to about 20 to 40 mA
during the

active state. What's missing is an estimation of the time the mote stays in the
active state.

And this is exactly where I need your help.

Is it possible to estimate this time or at least the dimensions for the case
where the mote is a

part of a multihop collection network? And if so what will the estimation be?
I'm aware that this depends on many factors like the number of motes within the
network, the

actual application running on it, and so on, but maybe someone can make at
least a statement

about the dimension I have to count with. Like 0.1 seconds or 1 second or 10
seconds ...

I hope somebody can answer my question or link me to an enlightening source.

Thank you very much in advance!