For multihop communication, I strongly recommend to start with the
Collection protocol, as everything you need there is already implemented:

http://docs.tinyos.net/index.php/Network_Protocols#Collection

Basically, instead of the regular send/receive interfaces you send your
packets over the collection interface, and it does all the routing/multi-hop
transport for you.

The anchor node calls RootControl.setRoot(true), and forwards any received
messages over the serial port. The relay does not need to do anything
specific (just start the radio), in fact the targets will also act as
relays. I recommend to use the same code for all three types of nodes
(easier to maintain) and to just configure a node as the anchor when the
node ID has a specific value (as demonstrated in the tutorial).

On the relay nodes you just need to increment the hop count for each
message. You can intercept messages before they are forwarded. To do this
you'll have to implement the Intercept interface. The code could look
something likes this:

event bool forward(message_t* msg, void* payload, uint8_t len) {
 MyMsg* data = (MyMsg*)payload; // cast to your own data structure
 data->hopCount++; // increase the hop count of the message
 return true; // tell the underlying system to forward the message
}

Cheers,
Urs