I suppose it's too late to look at your old install,
but can you run this in your new cygwin shell:

    cygcheck -s

It will dump out a lot of info about paths and version
numbers, one of which should be the base dll ID, like:

     Cygwin DLL version info:
         DLL version: 1.5.18

AFAIK, this is as close as one can get to a cygwin version ID.

Perhaps others who have "error 57" problems can do the same
and we may be able to get some traction on this. I haven't
followed carefully, but I seem to remember the error being
intermittent for some people. Is/was that true?

MS