Packet collision should be handled in the lower level radio code,
so you don't need to worry about it. Messages can be lost due to
noise, distance, or other interference, but it doesn't sound like
that's the problem if it works the second time around.

Maybe you need to wait a while before first sending your messages?
Put a second or two of Timer delay in the initiating mica-A after
power up?

Perhaps you can post your code so we can have a look.

MS