On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:52 AM, Matthias Schwamborn
<schwamb...@cs.uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been looking into the TinyOS 2.1.1 CTP (lib/net/ctp) and Link
> Estimator (lib/net/le) implementation in order to understand how ETX
> values are calculated.
>
> If I understand it correctly, the ETX stored in both CTP routing and
> data packets are actually EETX values as fixed-point real numbers with a
> precision of tenths: a value of 15 represents an EETX of 1.5 or ETX of
> 2.5 (EETX = ETX - 1), respectively. If it is not EETX, I wouldn't be
> able to explain values < 10 (which I've been seeing in packets a lot).

EETX = 10 * (ETX - 1).

So, if you see an EETX of 3, that means an ETX of 1.3. Because of the
confusion EETX was causing, we have been using ETX for a while now so
you might want to update to the latest version of the code.

> Now, assuming the above is true, is it still sufficient to assume a node
> is a root if it reports a value of 0? This would only mean that there a
> no retransmissions needed to successfully transmit a packet to the root
> (EETX = 0, ETX = 1) and would be feasible for any node, right?

In RootControl.setRoot(), a node sets its ETX to 0. If you see a node
advertise an ETX of 0, you know that was a packet from a root node.

- om_p