I'm guessing Excitation means Power. Although you could
probably switch it on and off by connecting to an I/O
pin similar to the light and temp sensors on the MDA100.

You could find a wire that fits the hole and run a short
jump of it to the sensor wire. That will probably be more
stable than trying to trim the wire. Heatshrink tubing
and possibly silicon seal will be your friends, might as
well make their acquaintance.

For future use, if you are making a bunch of these you
don't need the MDA board, just some way to mount the
connector. I have a design for a break-out board you
can have made if you need a few:
     http://www.etantdonnes.com/Motes/MicaBOB/

MS