Hi Eric,

Yes, the way you diagramed it is what I mean.

What I wanted was a mote connected to a PC that would look to any
Linux application (e.g. minicom)  like a serial port and would be
connected to over a radio link to a similar mote and PC appearing as a
serial port to any arbitrary Linux application.

Like the serial line replacement  mode available on the XBee radios
from Digi. There the packetizing and retries are handled transparently
on the XBee module.

Or another example would be the Lantronix Matchport serial to Wifi module.

Steve