Hi,

Everything depends on how much you want to spend.

Think that a spectrum analyzer (SA) does not analyze protocols, but rather
it will help you to check the RF front end. If you go to the IEEE 802.15.4
standard you will find a special chapter in which all the RF parameters are
defined (for the TX things like distortion, or sensitivity for the RX). I
do not if this is what you are thinking on...

On the other hand if you want to measure the EM fields on the air, then a
SA is also useful but then you need an extra option which is a filter bank,
otherwise you may saturate the input mixer if the antenna has a big
bandwith and the air is very populated.

Regarding the protocols, I am not sure what you mean. If you want to
demodulate the signal into the IQ components, then you need some kind of
vector signal analysis, that may be a whole equipement or just a card that
can be embedded in a regular SA.

Finally, if you do not take care so much of the RF but rather you are
interested in the MAC protocols, then you could use a USB sniffer that will
provide much information of the packets sent between motes.

I hope this helps you!
Best regards,
Sergio