Okay its a mess.   Fortunately not too many folks have been running into
this.    Or they have given up   :-(

It isn't so much a problem with the msp430 toolchain but rather a problem
with how the new toolchain was deployed.  I won't go into that.  No point.

Here is the current situation....

For various reasons, all good, we needed to roll out a new toolchain.
That is the 4.5.3-LTS20110716 msp430 toolchain.   And this toolchain is
needed for the upcoming 2.1.2 release.   That is where the tinyos-main
development trunk is heading.

The new toolchain (4.5.3 based) doesn't work with the old 2.1.1 code (2.1.1
is getting rather long in the tooth and was released 4/1/2010).   The 2.1.1
code could be made to work with the new toolchain but at this point really
isn't worth the effort given how old the code is.

So you have two choices:

1) Stay on 2.1.1 and use the *-legacy packages to get the old toolchain.
These packages are available at http://tinyprod.net/repos/debian/ but I
haven't personally verified correct operation (nor will I, not worth the
time).

2) Move to the development trunk (and possibly the T2.1.2 release when it
becomes available) and use the current toolchain.

I recommend #2 above.

The simplest thing to do is to follow the instructions at:
https://github.com/tp-freeforall/prod, in particular follow
00b_Development_Environment.   It also includes instructions for grabbing a
git tree that is the current edge of the msp430 work I've been doing.   It
is stable for most parts of the msp430 code.   It makes use of the
toolchains available from the tinyprod site.

eric

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Morgan Reeves
<abelianchamel...@hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I've been banging my head over this for the past few days,

sorry you are having problems.   I'm the primary maintainer of the tinyprod
site.

> any help would be appreciated. My situation:
>
> 1. I've installed using deb
> http://tinyos.stanford.edu/tinyos/dists/ubuntu/ lucid main
> 2. The ``Simple'' tutorial example compiles fine.

What on earth is the "Simple" tutorial?    Pointer please....

> 3. The ``Blink'' tutorial fails with the following first error:
>
> /opt/tinyos-2.1.1/tos/chips/msp430/pins/HplMsp430GeneralIOC.nc:227: syntax
> error before `;'
>
> (Same error as reported here:
> https://www.millennium.berkeley.edu/pipermail/tinyos-help/2010-October/048066.html
> )

But what platform are you building for?   telosb?

More details about what exactly you are doing would be helpful.   ie.  What
platform.   what command you are using to build your app and the output of
say:

make verbose <platform>

> Now, I know from reading the previous postings that this is likely a
> problem with msp430 and one post suggests finding msp430-legacy. One post
> directs me to:
>

> http://tinyos.stanford.edu/tinyos/dists/ubuntu.old/
>
> but, so far as I can tell, says nothing about how to actually fix the
> problem. A follow up post (
> http://old.nabble.com/Getting-MSP430-error-in-tinyos-2.1.1-td32334121.html)
> promises to fix the problem but directs me to an outdated link at
> http://tinyprod.net/debian-dev/

Sorry about that.  I had thought that enough time had gone by for the
outdated link to no longer used.   So I nuked the link.  I've since
replaced the link.

The "official" link is http://tinyprod.net/repos/debian/.

> I finally ended up at this site:
>
> http://tinyprod.net/razvanm/debian/

That is a development URL that can change at any time.   Currently,
http://tinyprod.net/repos/debian is a superset of razvanm/debian.

> But if I run those commands, it erases all of my previous tinyOS
> installation, replaces it with a new one

Can you please be more specific?    What exactly do you mean it erases your
previous tinyOS installation?   Are you talking about the toolchain?

(I think) and then nothing works. I can't even find a way to make the
> Simple tutorial as TinyOS cannot be found. I'm stuck. I know at least a few
> people have encountered this problem - can someone tell me step-by-step how
> it can be fixed?

I can't explain the behavior you are seeing.   I started with a fresh vm
and ran though what I think your installation steps are and ran into the
same toolchain problem.   I then installed the new toolchain and it seems
to work properly.

Note you must have the appropriate environment variables set properly.

I would recommend that you start over and follow the instructions at:
https://github.com/tp-freeforall/prod.   In particular, the file
00b_Development_Environment talks about how to set up the toolchains and
how to pull a source tree.

> Thanks in advance,
> -Max

Eric B. Decker