Try to compare the low level I2C code and see what's different
between T1 and T2. I think the last version of T1 had the
atmega code in:
     tinyos-1.x/tos/platform/avrmote/HPLI2CM.nc

If you search for "schip tinyos I2C" you'll find some help list
discussion of my battles with the Moteworks all-in-software
bit banging code used by the iris in:
     MoteWorks/tos/platform/atm128/I2CM.nc
Specifically the spec calls for a "wait state" mechanism driven
by the slave device which was not implemented in the software.
I would hope that a hardware impl does this correctly, but who knows...

I found this datasheet to have a good description of I2C operation
if you need to start poking an oscilloscope or logic analyzer at it:
     http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/usermanuals/UM10204_3.pdf

MS