Hi all
I recommend you do some research about Aloha in ISO 18000-7. I have no idea of
this recommended practice of yours, but this is the usual procedure of a
CSMA-CA mechanism. At the best of my knowledge, a node acting as a transmitter
cannot detect a collision, so what this node does is the following:
1) This node is willing to transmit so it listens to the channel a number of
CCA time intevals (e.g., in IEEE 802.15.4 non-beacon mode, is one while in the
beacon mode, this number is two).2) If the channel is free, it transmits.
Otherwise (it detects a transmission within its coverage range), it delays its
own transmission a backoff time (random time), after which a new attempt of
retransmission is conducted.3) If the channel was free (your case), but your
transmission has collided (e.g., due to hidden nodes), it depends on which type
of transmission are you carrying out. For instante, if you are using an unicast
transmission with acknowledgment, the fact that you don't receive the ack from
the receiver (after a particular time interval) tells the transmitter that it
was any kind of fail, and it considers its transmission as a collision. In this
case, the transmitter sets another backoff time (provided that a maximum number
of retransmissions have not been already done). An!
 other example is a broadcast transmission. In this type, the ack frames are
not required, so if the transmission collided, it depends on your protocol: 1)
you broadcast something and waits for any action to be done, so you detect a
possible problem (maybe a collision); 2) you broadcast something to share some
kind of information but you don't expect anything, so the collision is not
detected.
Regads,
David