You downloaded:

git clone -v git://github.com/tinyos/tinyos-release

>> this created a directory called tinyos-release  in your current working
>> directory.    Which is what?
>>

>   I downloaded using above command which created a directory named
> tinyos-2.x. The directory is placed in /home folder

The TinyOS directory is named tinyos-release or did you change it to match
the environment script?

> TOSROOT=~/home/tinyos-2.x

Try using $HOME instead of "~" (do you have a /home/user/home directory? :S)

Are you setting the environment through a script (in this case, are you
running it before attempting to compile, is it executable?), or did you
just add the lines to your ~/.bashrc? if adding the script to the ~/.bashrc
remember to "source" it first.

PS. Don't add zolertia support email in CC, doubles the junk at inbox as
I'm already replying.

Regards,

--Antonio