Sorry, you are right, and I didn't realize you were talking about the
binary toolchain when you first mentioned this error message.
Apparently, nesc gives linux style paths to gcc, and the avr-gcc by atmel
only accepts windows style paths. I will try to compile the toolchain on
windows, in the next few days, but don't raise your hopes, cygwin+windows
is a mess, sometimes it gives unexpected errors, and it's really-really
slow, so I might not have the patience to fix it.

Andris