Hi,

You're wrong, most node has two flash memory: one in the mcu, the program
memory of the atmega128l in your case, and one external for user storage in
the at45db chip. The example codes are using the second one, and make
install writes the first one.
This error usually happens if there is some kind of connection problem: Bad
usb cable/port, or your mote is not pushed onto the mib (programming board)
enough.

Andris

Ps: I read your other email as well, but I have no idea what causes that
problem.