Richard, this is kernel 2.6.37.  I doubt very much that the 'tipc' tool will
work with that kernel version. Correct me if I am wrong.
Anyway, I am pretty sure that the choice of tool is not the issue here; to try
changing it would just cause him unnecessary extra work.

Leon, just a control question: since you are indicating your IP addresses, I
hope this doesn't mean you are trying to configure an IP bearer. This isn't
supported in the TIPC version you are using; it came a lot later.

I would start doing the following:
What does tipc-config say about the bearers? Have they been correctly enabled?
Do the nodes have the addresses you have set?
Does Wireshark show that the discovery messages are transferred and responded
to as they should ?
If not, since you are anyway hacking the code, why not throw in a couple of
printouts to verify what happens to those messages in the code. It is the
disabling of the disc_domain test that makes me suspicious. I this test
replaced bay an unconditional "true" (it should be) ?

Try this, and chances are good you will find what is missing.

Regards
///jon