Chris Green writes:
>Going against the (grumpy) grain:
>"A new study from California's Stanford University has produced
>some reassuring news: Young people may not be writing so badly
>after all, and, in fact, their prose is evolving in some promising
>new ways. They write more on their own time, their school essays
>are longer, their voices are more attuned to the people who will
>read their words. They know better -- at least by university -- than
>to drop text-speak into a
>http://tinyurl.com/y9b55dm

The "new study" report at Stanford tells us that:
"Especially interested in testing the hypothesis that two particular
variables, audience awareness and rhetorical understanding of sources,
are significant in students' writing development, Paul developed an
original, 10 point rubric to score a sample of academic writing from 40
study participants."
http://ssw.stanford.edu/research/paul_rogers.php

Chris, as you cited this cheering news, could you explain for my
benefit what is meant by "rhetorical understanding of sources"?

And who is "Paul"? Oh, that's Paul Rogers. Who he? Dunno, really.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org